Thursday, October 7, 2010

Favorite Recipe Sources

Tasty Kitchen – huge compilation of recipes and many of them are rated by other readers. I love reading what people thought of a recipe and if/how they altered the recipe.

Hillbilly Housewife – great suggestions on how to make every day items from scratch. I use her recipes for making dry onion soup mix, granola, homemade yogurt, etc.

Barefoot Contessa – she knows how to make delicious food from simple ingredients. Love her recipes! I have a bunch of her cookbooks, but many of her recipes can be found on Food Network.

Taste of Home – tons of tried and true recipes. I have both the regular cookbook and the baking cookbook. Great resources!

Hobby Farm Home – a magazine that comes every other month that often has great recipes and interesting articles. My favorite banana bread recipe comes from here, but I can't find the recipe online.

Friends – great resources, especially because a lot of them are at the same life stage as me. They know what recipes are doable with young kids and a budget.

A year of slow cooking - I do a lot of crockpot cooking. You can make so many things in the crockpot from yogurt to dessert to pot roast and the food cooks itself.

Wholesome Baby Food - TJ eats what we eat now, but I used this site a lot when we were first introducing him to foods. We made all his baby food instead of buying jars of the processed stuff. Trust me, it tastes MUCH better.


Some of the recipes I mentioned in my previous post can be found at these locations:

Apple Bread I made this on Tuesday and it's yummy!

Zucchini Bread

Hummus This is a standby at our house. My 18 month old devours this whenever he gets the chance!

Graham Crackers These are SUPER easy! They didn't last a day at our house and with whole wheat and honey - they're pretty healthy too.

Squash Bread - Made this without the optional topping and it's still delicious. You hardly know you're eating squash. I wish I'd found this recipe sooner as we had a ton of squash this summer!

2 comments:

Natalya said...

You need to read this site too, she has some really simple and easy ones.
www.southernplate.com

Anonymous said...

I made the apple bread recipe and, just because I don't like throwing away the good peelings unnecessarily, I went ahead and cut up the apples without peeling them. It worked great! What a wonderfully, good recipe. Will sure be making that again.

Sharon Torgerson (Fergus Falls area....friend of Sue!)