Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Great Recipe Suggestion from A Friend

When you are eating what is in season, often times you have to find recipes with ingredients that you have on hand, rather than picking out recipes and buying what you need. Anyway, each week I try to make one beef or pork meal, one chicken meal, a veggie meal (I can only handle so many meat days in a row, but Jesse isn't a huge vegetarian fan), a pasta dish, and a soup or salad night. I also try to vary the cuisines we eat.

A friend of mine posted this recipe on her blog and it worked perfectly for our veggie meal. It was SO yummy. We ate it with coconut rice. I have only recently started eating rice again. I've always had texture issues with rice and the fact that it looks like bug larva. For years, I did not eat rice, but we want our children to be adventurous eaters. So I've been forcing myself to eat rice again and Jesse is forcing himself to eat raw tomatoes (usually in the form of caprese salad - another staple at our house). The coconut rice is SO good! I never thought I would rave about the taste of a rice dish, but I really enjoyed it. We eat mostly brown rice at our house (it's healthier and looks less like bug larva). Overcoming a rice dislike is a work in progress... So we had brown rice in our recipe. We also had sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, sour cream instead of yogurt(note: add sour cream at the end, it will curdle if heated over long periods of time) and green beans instead of celery.

It was a success! The dish was delicious and I love seeing my 14 month old son chow down on vegetable curry. You should see the way he devours chickpeas! He also LOVES raw tomatoes (much to Jesse's bewilderment.) He's very much into feeding himself these days. He wants nothing to do with us feeding him. The vegetables in this dish were the perfect sized chunks for him to grab and he shoveled the rice in without a problem.

No comments: