Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Shoe Dilemma Solved and a Pregnancy Rant


Some of you may remember my running shoe dilemma. Basically the quality of my favorite shoe had gone down and the price had gone up. After thinking I would not go with a New Balance shoe because of my past experience, I decided to give them another shot. New Balance has 5 factories in the US. All of their runners are manufactured here, though some of the parts are foreign. (The 993 is entirely American Made) I went and tried on a pair and asked which model was comparable to the Asics 2150 that I had been wearing. They recommended the WR760. So I tried it on. It was too wide. So I tried on the narrow and it was perfectly snug without being too tight. New Balance has a policy where you can try out the shoe for 30 days and if you're not satisfied, you can come in and exchange it. So yesterday, I wore them on a 3.5 mile run. No blisters. That's right, not one! They were light weight and really comfortable. My only complaint was that they made my feet really hot when I first starting running. I don't know if that's the shoes fault or simply that it's August in Alabama. So far I have been impressed with them and like them much better than the Asics they replaced. I'm taking them out for another run tomorrow. Hopefully, they won't let me down!

And for my pregnancy rant...On Monday, while I was running, a stranger came up behind me and stood probably four feet away from the treadmill and stared. If you're that interested in what I'm doing, ask or at least try to be discreet when you're looking. Ogling my treadmill from behind me is rude and a little weird (especially when the cardio room is basically empty.)

I know there's a lot of misinformation about exercising while pregnant. A while back, the rule of thumb was to prop your legs up for 9 months and not do anything while pregnant. Now, doctors encourage exercise. However, there are still some people that give you the crazy eye when they see a pregnant woman exercising. I do not overexert myself when I'm pregnant. I'm not out to break any personal records. My goal is to stay fit and healthy, and to have the stamina and strength to have a quick, healthy delivery.

So please, instead of staring, get on the treadmill and set the personal record that I currently can't attempt. We'll encourage each other and it will be far less awkward.

No comments: