Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reading More

Around the new year, I decided I wanted to read more in 2011. I made a long list of all the books I have been wanting to read and just haven't had the chance. So far, I'm averaging a few books per month. None of them have been terrible, some of them have been average and some I've really enjoyed.
My favorites so far:

Blue Like Jazz - really enjoyed this book. I read through the whole thing in a day. It's one of those books that you don't want to put down and yet you want to stop and think after each paragraph. It came out several years ago and has been on my "to read" list for a while and I finally got to it. It's a narrative of Donald Miller's spiritual journey with Christianity. It is told through a bunch of short stories.

The Help - this book was recommended (and borrowed from) a good friend of mine. It's set in Mississippi in the 60s, during the civil rights movement. The story is told from three different points of view. Living in the south, but not having been raised in the south, it is an interesting glimpse into a moment in time in American history.


No comments: