Friday, February 12, 2010

Queen of Comfort Food

I have never claimed to be an excellent cook. In fact, truth be told, prior to having TJ, I probably didn't do the majority of the cooking. Since I'm at home now though, I do the lion's share of the cooking and I've found that I gravitate toward making comfort food. Big Time. I want it to taste good, but I don't want to spend my entire day making it. Some people desire to cook like Julia Child. She prepared all these fancy, laborious foods. No thanks. I have no desire to ever debone a duck or make some elaborate beef jello. I'm not a fan of the fruity jello. Anything that can crawl itself across my plate actually creeps me out a bit. Add to the fact that it's socially acceptable to add anything in the fridge or pantry to a jello mold as long as you top it with cool whip... Honestly, it's just plain weird, but I digress... So at our house - it's a lot of soups, pasta, roasts and casseroles. Last night, I was using up the chicken from the roast chicken that I had made on Monday. TJ is a really happy baby most of the day, but for some reason he's most likely to come undone while I'm making dinner. So most of my cooking is done by guesstimating the measurements so dinner gets done faster. Hence, the lack of measurements in this recipe.
Here's my "Pot Pie on the Fly":

Chicken Pot Pie on the Fly

For filling:

· Cooked Chicken (eyeball it)

· Mixed Veggies (eyeball it)

· ¼ head of cabbage

· ⅔ sticks Butter

· 1 Chopped Onion

· ⅓ cups Flour

· 1-¾ cup Chicken Broth

· ⅔ cups Milk

For crust:

· 1 cup of Bisquick

· ½ cup of milk

· 1 egg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease bottom of round casserole dish. Melt butter in a large frying pan. Add onions and sauté until softened. Add flour, stir, and let cook for about a minute or two. Add broth and milk gradually while stirring with a whisk. Add veggies and chicken. Continue stirring and let it cook until it thickens. Pour filling into casserole dish. Mix bisquick, egg, and milk together in a bowl. Pour over top of casserole. Bake for 30 minutes until crust is golden brown.

I would have taken a pretty picture for you, but apparently we were all really hungry because we devoured it in no time!





No comments: