Friday, February 5, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness

So often we get wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of life. Our pastor has a phrase, "parade of providence" that he uses when he refers to seeing God at work in everything. Yesterday, I was at Costco. It was pouring rain all day and because it was the first day that February coupons were valid, it was very crowded with senior citizens and homemakers. The store was chaotic and I found myself playing bumper carts with the same women over and over again. I had my grocery list on my phone and Trent was bound and determined to grab my phone, which made it difficult to read my list (which was entirely too long), all while I attempted to push a Costco cart one handed... it took some work! Anyway, when we got to the checkout, the checkout lady rambled on (for what seemed like forever) about how I need to upgrade to an executive membership. I listened to her spiel and gave her, an "I'll think about it" response. I was ready to pay, but got carded for the one bottle of wine that was in my buggy. At this point, I had to laugh. No one ever gets carded at Costco, but ME. *Sigh* Someday, I'll look my age... Anyway, I digress. So, as Trent and I headed to the car, I was dreading the whole situation because it was still pouring down rain and I had a shopping cart full of bulk items. I got to the car and loaded Trent in first. At this point, one of the old men heading into the store (with a massive golf umbrella), stopped and held his umbrella over my groceries while I got TJ strapped into his car seat. He then continued to keep my groceries dry while I loaded up the back of the car and then he took my shopping cart into the store. I will probably never see him again, but he made my shopping trip so much easier. It made me smile to see that there are still people out there that will take 10 minutes of their time to help a stranger. It made me think of the "parade of providence" and to be mindful of my interactions with others as well. I had bumbled along through the store just wrapped up in my own little world, but this guy took the time to think of someone else.

No comments: