Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Making the Best of Things

Yesterday, Trent and I drove up to my parents. The trip normally takes about 4 hours, but there was a wreck on the interstate. On Monday, an 18 wheeler had crashed down a ravine and into a creek. On Tuesday, they decided to get the wrecker to pull the 18 wheeler out. So the interstate was at a standstill for three hours. There was no warning this was going to happen so everyone sat and waited. And waited. Some cars turned around and drove backwards in the shoulders. Truckers got out of their rigs to small talk. Trent and I had our own play date. Driving four hours by myself with Trent always makes me a little nervous because I can't drive and entertain him very well if he decides to come apart. So I was thankful that traffic was completely stopped so I could just turn the car off and turn around and play. We had some snacks, played with toys, changed a diaper, sang songs, and read books. Once we finally started moving, he started to fuss, so I turned on a movie for a bit. He eventually fell asleep for the rest of the trip. Overall, the trip went really smoothly after our delay. I wouldn't like to be delayed every time, but it was fun to laugh and play along the way! Once we got here, Mom had dinner ready and waiting - Yum!

No comments: