Saturday, March 27, 2010

Running is My Therapy

I love to run. I'll never be the fastest, but I simply enjoy it. Sometimes I pray during running, sometimes I jam to Rocky theme music and the Black Eyed Peas. Sometimes I run on a treadmill, sometimes I run in the woods. Three to five miles is my favorite distance. Long enough to feel like you got a workout in, but short enough that it doesn't take all day. I've done a lot of running - trail running, half marathon training, training for triathlons and so every six months or so, I would normally buy a new pair of running shoes. I fell in love with Asics a long time ago. They are so comfortable and keep my feet from getting blisters. Dicks Sporting Goods used to have a sale every winter and my favorite running shoes that would normally cost around $75 would go on sale for $50. Sadly, that did not happen this year. Most running shoes are made in China and China has to decided to start charging the US more for its labor. Then an export tariff law was not renewed by congress so now it's costing retailers more to bring the shoes back to the US. What does this mean for me? My $75 shoes that I used to get for $50 now do not go on sale and are selling for $100. This frustrates me because in one year, the cost of my favorite running shoe has doubled! So I am looking for an American made shoe. If I'm going to pay top dollar for my next running shoe, I'd rather it be for American parts and labor. I think New Balance has some high end shoes that are made here, but my feet don't get along with New Balances. I have bone spurs on the back of my ankles and they can tear up the back of a New Balance shoe in no time! So I am on the lookout for a new pair of shoes. The pair I'm in is going on a year of use because of the price increase, but eventually I just have to give in and buy a new pair. If you have any suggestions for a good shoe or you know of a brand that is 'Made in America', I would love to hear from you!

No comments: