Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sewing for Baby!

This weekend, I finally had time to sew! We hit some great fabric sales on Saturday and Jesse had finished up the kitchen (pictures to come). He declared Dadurday and I got some free time to sew away!

First Up:

New Romper for TJ

TJ is a sweaty mess in the summer. The heat never goes away and this is about as lightweight as we can do without letting him run around his diaper all the time (which may happen on occasion). Most of the time, he wears homemade rompers, just like this one. I was experimenting with decorating the pocket on this one. I have looked and looked for other boy patterns and they are SO limited! Most of them look exactly like the one I already use. So I've taken to adding pockets and pictures instead, just to spice it up a bit.

Next Up:
Sleepsack for Newbie

As of now, the baby in my belly is still unnamed. So for now, let's call him Newbie. I know that Newbie will have his share of hand me downs since he has an older brother. But when I was at the fabric store this weekend, they were having a sale on patterns. I saw one with all sorts of layette stuff and just had to buy it. Trent slept in these a lot when he was a baby and with only five snaps, it won't be too torturous for Jesse during middle of the night diaper changes!

And my personal favorite:

My first homemade diaper!

I am most excited about getting the chance to make this diaper this weekend. The kids will be 20 months apart. I'm willing to bet that TJ will probably not be potty trained by the time the second one arrives. So, we will probably have two in diapers. We bought a bunch of bumgenius one size diapers before we had Trent. Have I mentioned how much I love them? You may remember me changing them from velcro to snaps here. They grow WITH the child, so you don't have to have a bunch of different diaper sizes. Anyway, this time around, I wanted to try and make my own diapers. Bumgenius diapers are $18 a piece. We have a bunch of fabric stores in town and I kept thinking that it couldn't be that hard to do. Isn't it cute?! And the best part, it cost me a fraction of the cost of a Bumgenius! TJ tried it on and it fit him well. We'll also be able to adjust it for Newbie.

1 comment:

Gretchen R said...

I love the diaper! I couldn't wait to comment on it. Good job, and be careful not to get addicted!