Sunday, January 3, 2010

Homemade Tastes Better - Bread

I've steered away from convenience foods for a while. I enjoy the taste but the fact that something that would normally need to be refrigerated can sit in a box indefinitely has always grossed me out a bit (basically not a big fan of preservatives). After having a baby, this opinion grew even more. Not only do we make all our own baby food, but we buy very few "convenience items." After staying at home for a while, I realized that making homemade can be just as easy as buying them (especially when it comes to planning a trip around naptime, juggling the groceries and baby, etc). Once you get used to homemade, you can definitely tell the difference in taste between store bought and homemade! There are three things that we ALWAYS make homemade. The first is bread. There is a huge difference in taste between the cheap white fluff and real yummy tasting bread. Rather than spend $4 or more per loaf, we started making our own. We buy the big bulk bags of flour at Costco for about what it would cost for one loaf of good bread! I have the Taste of Home Baking Cookbook. It is a great "go-to" cookbook. We just got a breadmaker for Christmas, but up until then, we've been baking bread the old fashioned way. We've tried multiple bread recipes, but this is our standby: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Milk-and-Honey-White-Bread. I'm still playing with my new bread machine. I'll post my favorite bread machine recipe once I've narrowed it down. :)

2 comments:

Alittlebitmoore said...

So what are the other 2 things you make homemade?

kellercabin said...

Granola and Marinara - I'll post those recipes soon!