Thursday, January 21, 2010

Supersized Homemade Oreos


I had a major sweet tooth today so homemade oreos came to mind. Last week, I had a major oreo craving and devoured the store bought bag in about two days! So today, I opted to try and make my own. They are really yummy. I have a couple of recipes for homemade oreos but decided to do a conglomeration of them all.

For the cookie:

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
10 Tbsp butter, room temperature
1 large egg

In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. Then beat in the butter and the egg. Mix until dough comes together in a big lump. Place parchment paper on the cookie sheets. Take teaspoons of batter and press down to desired shape. (I used a small, heart shaped cookie cutter.) Bake for 9 minutes at 375 F. Set on a rack to cool. ** These cookies grew a lot more in the oven than I expected so this time around, we have supersized oreos.

For the filling:
Beat half a stick of butter until light and fluffy. Mix together 1.5 Cups of confectioners' sugar and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Gradually add the sugars to the butter. Beat until well blended. Beat in 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.

These cookies cool quick so by the time you are done making the filling, you should be able to ice the cookies. Obviously, if you want double stuffed, double the filling recipe.

And delicious! I'm really going to have to practice some will power so that Jesse actually has the chance to taste these when he gets home. TJ and I may have to go on a field trip this afternoon or there may be none left to share! Oreos, why are you so tempting!

No comments: