Friday, January 22, 2010

Homemade Tastes Better - Marinara

Another thing we always make from scratch is marinara sauce. My mother is an excellent cook. She showed me how easy this could be! We buy the 6lb 10oz cans of Italian Peeled Tomatoes at Costco (yes, by now you realize that Costco probably thinks we own a small restaurant). These jars normally cost under $4 a can. First, take a head of garlic (usually about 10 cloves) and sautee it in the bottom of a stockpot with some olive oil. Once the garlic is lightly browned, dump in the can of tomatoes. You will have to squeeze/crush the tomatoes with your hands (otherwise, you will have massive chunks of tomato in your sauce). Then add in a 12oz can of tomato paste. Stir and let it simmer on the stove for an hour. This makes A LOT of marinara. I usually freeze it in tupperware ranging in size from 3.5 cups to 5 cups so that I have the perfect amount for making ziti, lasagna, spaghetti, etc. You can add onions, meat, or whatever else you like into the sauce, but I like to have the marinara on hand and then add whatever else later, depending on what I'm cooking.

No comments: