Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cuddle Phase

This morning as I was rocking Sean in the early hours, I thought about the cuddle phase. I knew he was dry and fed. He simply wanted to be held. Once I held him, he snuggled up and was completely content. I sometimes complain about being tired, but I really loving holding newborn babies. The time when they have such a strong longing to be held is fleeting. Pretty soon, they want to start exploring their new world. My older baby seems so much older now that he's a big brother. He's constantly climbing on things, trying to learn new words and on the move. Yet, it wasn't even two years ago that he was this age. Big brother is still very affectionate, but it's not that total dependence of a newborn. God knew what he was doing when he set up this bonding period. The baby learns that he's safe, secure, and loved. The parents realize just how strong their love is for the child. I cherish these little moments because I know it won't be long until he'd rather be attempting to climb my kitchen island than snuggle with his mama. :)


No comments: