Monday, May 31, 2010

Pregnancy Hormones or Odd Sentimental Attachment?

I moved into the Hillcrest dorms (boarding school) in the fall of 1997. Upon my arrival, my parents bought me a laundry basket and I wrote my name and room number in red marker on the bottom of the basket. Now fast forward almost 13 years... This weekend, we were at Walmart and decided it was time to upgrade our laundry baskets. While it'll be nice to have the sturdier, newer version that contours to my hip, it seemed so odd throwing the old one away. I'd thought about replacing it many times before (you can't hold it with one hand or all the clothes fall out), but it always seemed to do the job "good enough." Room 304 is faded now, but that laundry basket followed me through high school in Minnesota, college in Alabama, my short time of living on my own, and six years (and three moves) of married life. So, I don't know if it's the pregnancy hormones making me mushy or an odd sentimental attachment to an object that was with me through my twenties. Alas, out with the old and in with the new!


No comments: